Job Title: Operator
Location: Houston (Deer Park)
Business Unit: Coatings and Additives
Evonik Industries is an international industrial group with a workforce of about 39,000 employees and activities in more than 100 countries all over the world. A market leader in specialty chemicals, Evonik's performance is shaped by its commitment to creativity, specialization, continuous self-renewal, and reliability. In its fiscal year 2011 Evonik generated sales of about Euro 14.5 billion and an operating profit (EBITDA) of about Euro 2.8 billion.
Evonik Oil Additives (EOA)is a leading global supplier of high-performance VISCOPLEX® lubricant additives and VISCOBASE® synthetic base fluids for use in automotive and industrial lubricants. This Evonik Industries business line also develops and markets dewaxing aids used in refinery processes and cold flow improvers for biodiesel fuels.
Evonik is strongly committed to hiring and retaining diverse, well qualified employees and we are seeking to fill the position of Operator at our Deer Park plant in the Houston, TX area.
Evonik operators are involved in all aspects of the production process from unloading raw materials, charging ingredients to tanks and reactors, monitoring and adjusting process parameters both in the field and via the control system, filtration of products and loading finished goods.
The Operator position includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Perform all tasks with safety of self and fellow workers as the highest priority.
- Follow all safety policies and procedures outlined in the company Safety Manual.
- Read and carefully follow all procedures and Job Safety Analyses.
- Loading and unloading tank trucks, rail cars and ISO containers.
- Unloading palletized goods from trucks and moving to warehouse or the process unit.
- Filling and emptying drums.
- Taking production samples and running wet lab tests.
- Connecting/disconnecting hoses and opening/closing valves.
- Use the DCS (distributed control system) to monitor the process and manipulate process variables.
- Troubleshoot process, equipment and instrument problems
- Taking readings, making rounds and preparing written records.
- Communicating with fellow workers via radio and in-person.
- Taking measurements and performing mathematical calculations.
- Changing pipe strainers and changing sock (bag) filters.
- Issuing safe work permits for maintenance and construction personnel.
- Participating in teams to improve work practices and processes.
- Maintain excellent housekeeping in accordance with company standards. Regular cleaning, including the use of pressure washers, is expected.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
Candidate Qualifications and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Process Technician certificate or minimum three years of process plant or liquids loading experience.
- Perform operator duties with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of process equipment (pumps, valves, heat exchangers, reactors, etc.).
- Ability to read and follow procedures and process flow diagrams.
- Good interpersonal and communication abilities to work as part of a team and to be able to give detailed instructions to others.
- Knowledge and proficiency in CLTT (Clear, Lock, Tag and Try).
- Serve as a team member or leader to help solve quality, reliability or other business issues.
- Basic knowledge of computers including: e-mail and MS Word.
- Must be medically fit to perform duties.
- Lifting (approx. 50lbs. max) of bags, hoses, filters, etc.
- Walking and Climbing – stairs and ladders.
- Working at elevation – scaffolds, ladders, and top of tanks.
- Working outside in the elements.
- Use of hand wrenches .
- Use of power impact wrenches.
- Use of breathing apparatus (air purifying respirator and self contained).
- Operate motorized equipment including: fork lift, Yard Mule (Tractor) and others as needed.
- ONLY CANDIDATES MEETING THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
- FOR SERIOUS CONSIDERATION, PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR SALARY REQUIREMENTS.
Evonik Industries is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee of Evonik Industries via email, the Internet or in any method without a valid written search agreement will be deemed the sole property of Evonik Industries. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Evonik Industries as a result of the referral or through other means.
It is the policy of Evonik Corporation to recruit, hire, assign, train, transfer, promote, lay off and compensate employees at all levels and in all areas on the basis of merit and ability and without discrimination because of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or because he/she is disabled veteran or a Vietnam era veteran or any other legally protected status.