Job Title: Rotational Chemist
Location: Hopewell, VA
Business Unit: Consumer Specialties
Evonik, the creative industrial group from Germany, is one of the world leaders in specialty chemicals. Profitable growth and a sustained increase in the value of the company form the heart of Evonik’s corporate strategy. Its activities focus on the key megatrends health, nutrition, resource efficiency and globalization. Evonik benefits specifically from its innovative prowess and integrated technology platforms.
Evonik is active in over 100 countries around the world. In fiscal 2012 more than 33,000 employees generated sales of around €13.6 billion and an operating profit (adjusted EBITDA) of about €2.6 billion.
Comprehensive training and development program held in two different locations and including many different processes within a chemical manufacturing company. Prepare and perform R&D, Applied Technology and/or Tech Service experiments and document results. Actively collaborate within research and applied technology groups as well as with outside functions, with the goal to develop better understanding of product function, chemistry, linkages, and applications. Develop a good understanding of the Evonik/BU CS culture and develop leadership skills. Manage projects required to achieve ends described above. This is a rotational opportunity and candidates must be willing to work in a number of different locations across North America.
- Plan and execute chemical syntheses on a project for one of the business lines.
- Develop Analytical procedures for needed products.
- Basic design and innovation activities.
- Data gathering and analysis.
- Planning and implementation of improvements.
- Project Management.
- Understand basic chemistry of major products.
- Perform laboratory experiments, measurements, product characterizations, and evaluate results.
- Contribute to, plan and/or design research projects to develop a fundamental understanding of specific products. Explore new test methods to evaluate specific products or be able to analyze specific product performance and/or performance trends.
- Document and report results in specified corporate database.
- Write project and activity reports. Present results to colleagues and customers.
- Understand Project Start-up.
- Gain Knowledge of the Production process as it relates to a specific project, i.e., product quality/customer complaint, preferred product versus customer economics.
- Understand the Production Process.
- Understand Production Troubleshooting.
- Troubleshoot customer or plant quality issues.
- Understand customer production quality initiatives and requirements.
Candidate Qualifications and Experience:
- Must have a Master's Degree in Organic Chemistry/ Chemistry; could have continued on path to PhD.
- Must have problem solving ability, be passionate about self development and learning, and have strong written/verbal communication skills.
- Must be computer literate (SAP, Lotus Notes, MS Office preferred).
- ONLY CANDIDATES MEETING THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
- FOR SERIOUS CONSIDERATION, PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR SALARY REQUIREMENTS.
Evonik Industries is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee of Evonik Industries via email, the Internet or in any method without a valid written search agreement will be deemed the sole property of Evonik Industries. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Evonik Industries as a result of the referral or through other means.
It is the policy of Evonik Corporation to recruit, hire, assign, train, transfer, promote, lay off and compensate employees at all levels and in all areas on the basis of merit and ability and without discrimination because of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or because he/she is disabled veteran or a Vietnam era veteran or any other legally protected status.