Job Title: Chemical Operator, North Plant
Location: Hopewell, VA
Business Unit: Consumer Specialties
Evonik, the creative industrial group from Germany, is one of the world leaders
in specialty chemicals. Profitable growth and a sustained increase in the value of the company form the heart of Evonik’s corporate strategy. Its activities focus on the key megatrends health, nutrition, resource efficiency and globalization. Evonik benefits specifically from its innovative prowess and integrated technology platforms.
Evonik is active in over 100 countries around the world. In fiscal 2012 more than 33,000 employees generated sales of around €13.6 billion and an operating profit (adjusted EBITDA) of about €2.6 billion.
The chemical operator carries out the activities involved in the manufacturing of products in the North Plant. These activities include receiving and storage of raw materials to make, pack and store products.
- Charging, sampling, and controlling reaction and process vessels.
- Performing process changes per work instructions.
- Recording process data on batch logs, batch records and inventory control records.
- Transferring raw materials and finished goods to either tank wagons, storage vessels, reactors, totes and drums as directed.
- Completing required process and shipping paperwork.
- Packaging materials.
- Handling hazardous materials.
- Calculating charge ratios and percentages and completing other basic math functions as required completing job requirements.
- Completing purchase requests, quality documents, maintenance requests and other internal forms as appropriate.
- General plant housekeeping and maintenance.
- Accepts responsibility for his or her own safety and health. Performs assigned duties in a manner that is safe and protective of the environment. Follows operating procedures to ensure a safe and environmentally protective workplace. Observes and reports all incidents and unsafe conditions. Takes an active interest in improving safety and environmental protection.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort
- Physical mobility and agility required.
- Requires working in a rotating shift environment including weekends and holidays.
- Requires adequate physical strength to perform the essential job tasks (for example, ability to lift 50 lbs. without mechanical assistance).
- Exposure to prolonged physical activity (for example, twelve hour shifts).
- Sensory faculties needed to safely perform the job duties that allow a person to react to potential or immediate hazardous conditions and to take appropriate action.
- Ability to wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as respiratory protection, safety harness, and full protection suit as well as common protective or safety equipment including, but not limited to, safety shoes, eye protection, hand protection, hearing protection, hard hats, etc.
Candidate Qualifications and Experience:
- High-school education or equivalent; vocational training or job-related course work preferred.
- A minimum of one year of relevant work experience in a chemical plant.
- Ability to understand and operate a distributed process control system, personal computer and associated software systems.
- Ability to demonstrate basic math skills.
- Ability to manage time and determine priorities in order to meet daily plant requirements.
- Ability to understand and carry out routine verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Must be available to work rotating shifts and weekends as scheduled.
- Must be able to operate forklift truck and be capable of passing certification testing.
- ONLY CANDIDATES MEETING THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
- FOR SERIOUS CONSIDERATION, PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR SALARY REQUIREMENTS.
Evonik Industries is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee of Evonik Industries via email, the Internet or in any method without a valid written search agreement will be deemed the sole property of Evonik Industries. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Evonik Industries as a result of the referral or through other means.
It is the policy of Evonik Corporation to recruit, hire, assign, train, transfer, promote, lay off and compensate employees at all levels and in all areas on the basis of merit and ability and without discrimination because of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or because he/she is disabled veteran or a Vietnam era veteran or any other legally protected status.